this post, I decided to use Young House Love & Bower Power's Pinterest Challenge as a kick in the butt to finish my headboard. I had been floating the idea around for months and it was the last step in finishing off my current bedroom. I posted about selecting the fabric here, and thanks to help from a bunch of blog/twitter/facebook friends, I decided on the larger dark grey stripe. My friend K made the point that the smaller stripe might read as solid grey from far away. As it turns out, the wider stripe (which still wasn't all that wide) reads a bit grey in the photos but still definitely looks striped in person.
So, here's how I did it:
First, I decided how big I wanted the headboard to be. I taped it out on the wall to get a feel for what it would look like at different sizes.
|Next to the white batting, the fabric looks dingy - It doesn't look like that at all in real life!|
here, here, here, here, and here). I followed their procedure of rotating one staple per side and pulling the batting tight as I went, in order to prevent wrinkles. Some tutorials suggested gluing foam to the plywood before wrapping it in batting, but I didn't need my headboard to be that plush, so I decided to use only batting. The one problem I encountered at this step was that my dinky little staple gun wasn't strong enough. Luckily, SuperDad came to the rescue and lent me his heavy-duty staple gun and his stapling arm.
|After this photo was taken, I trimmed the excess batting on the back of the board.|
|The bunching at the top disappeared once the nailheads were added.|
Staple Gun & Hammer: Already owned.
here. Once it's hung, it will be a few inches lower on the wall than it appears in the photos (as it's just propped up on the mattress right now). So that's my headboard project, finally tackled thanks to the Pinterest Challenge. I am SO happy I finally got the push I needed! Let me know what you think!
P.S. Here are the links to the super creative projects done by Pinterest Challenge hosts: Sherry & John, Katie, Carmel, & Sarah.
P.P.S. This project was also shared over on homemade ginger for Megan's Ginger Jamboree Link Party.
Update: Headboard has now been hung on the wall, using a slightly different technique than initially planned. Read about it here.